Authenticity on Social Media
We’re all scrambling to be different and own our own little slice of the world on social media, but uh-oh, we’ve all ended up becoming the same person! It's so easy to fall into the trap of observing what others do that gains popularity and think, "I should do that too". Authenticity is really hot right now, but there are a lot of authenticity practices rooted in capitalism and trickery that are going around. Luckily, people are smart and can see right through when someone is being fake but it can be so easy to get caught up in it and not realize you're making a few easy mistakes.
Good news! You actually hold the secret to being a truly authentic person. It's called being your actual self. While it's not as easy as it sounds, I'm breaking down the common mistakes (aka things to avoid) and tips for being truly authentic on social media!
Common mistakes when striving for authenticity on social media
- Only showing the shiniest, perfect parts of your life
- Modeling your life after other people’s lives
- Curating your life to what you think people will want to see
Tips for being truly authentic on social media
- Taking the things that make you special and different and pushing them
- Choosing key messages you want to communicate to the world and making sure your content is advocating for those messages.